Recipe: Butternut squash and chicken soup (Spain)
A real central heater for the colder months – autumnal, earthy veg, succulent chicken and warming spice.
Great as a starter or hearty enough to make a meal on its own – enjoy with a glass or two of organic Parés Baltà Blanc De Pacs.
1 x medium sized butternut squash (peeled, seeded and cubed)
4 x free-range chicken thighs
1 x small onion (finely chopped)
2 x tbsp olive oil
1 x litre of chicken or vegetable stock
1 x large pinch of ground cumin
1 x large pinch of ground coriander
1/4-1/2 tsp of chilli flakes (to taste)
1-2 x tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice to taste
Salt and pepper
- Pre- heat oven to 220°C and toss chicken thighs, squash, onion and oil together in a roasting dish to ensure an evenly coated layer.
- Put in oven for about 30 minutes or until chicken and squash are cooked through.
- Remove chicken and set aside to cool and add remaining roasted ingredients to a large pan with stock, cumin and coriander, then bring to a simmer.
- Using the back of a spoon break up veg to make a thick and chunky soup.
- Skin and de-bone chicken, chop and add to soup along with salt, pepper and lemon juice to taste.
That's it – all you need to make it perfect is good quality crusty bread and a bottle or two of Parés Baltà Blanc De Pacs.