Recipe: Patatas Riojanas (Spain)
This quick and delicious supper or lunch is easy to make and even easier on the wallet, which means you can enjoy it with a decent Rioja – it really is worth it.
I first fell in love with it four years ago having enjoyed it at our hotel in Haro.
TIP: If you don't have white Rioja for cooking, another white wine can be used as long as it's not an oaked variety.
INGREDIENTS (serves 4 adults)
250g cooking chorizo
1 x large onion
2 x garlic cloves
4-5 x tablespoons of olive oil
500ml chicken stock
1 x quarter bottle of white Rioja
1 x tablespoon of paprika
- Peel potatoes and cut into one inch chunks.
- Chop chorizo into one inch pieces.
- Peel and chop onion and garlic.
- Heat oil in a heavy based frying pan and fry onion and chorizo until onion is translucent.
- Add garlic and fry for further minute.
- Remove from heat and add all other ingredients.
- Stir and return to heat, bringing to the boil.
- Cover and simmer on lower heat for 20-30 minutes, until potatoes are cooked.
Enjoy with a glass or three of ruby red Sierra Cantabria Rioja Crianza.