Bodega Toneles Gran Tonel 137 Malbec
Bodega Toneles Gran Tonel 137 Malbec has an attractive, bright and intense purple colour and has a nose dominated by red fruits, ripe plums, berries and hints of violets. On the palate, in addition to the deep fruit flavours, there are also oak notes of chocolate, coconut, vanilla, cinnamon and Virginia tobacco. It is soft with sweet fruit, ripe tannins and spice, all of which culminate in a very long and complex finish.
Grape Variety: Malbec
Bottle Size: 75cl
Closure: Natural cork
Style: Deep and intense
Vegetarian: Yes (not certified)
Vegan: Yes (not certified)
Drink With: Asado criollo
Bodega Toneles Gran Tonel 137 is produced from Malbec grown in the high altitude Vista Flores (40%), La Consulta (30%) and La Chacaya (30%) vineyards where the soils are stoney and poor and where the wide diurnal temperature range ensures a long growing season. The grapes were harvested manually before being fermented in open top vessels. 70% of this Gran Tonel Malbec underwent malolactic fermentation in new French oak barriques and matured in them for 16 months before bottling. The remaining 30% was aged and stabilised in concrete eggs which are left outdoors. These eggs act like oak barrels in creating texture, but without imparting the vanillins and spice notes from wood. They preserve fruit flavours and aromas like stainless steel does and they avoid the potentially reductive conditions of stainless steel.