Domaine Du Bicheron
Over time, the property has been passed down from generation to generation, along with knowledge and experience that is continually evolving and improving. It all started in 1889, when Antoine Rousset acquired a small vineyard of just 0.3 hectares in size. When he died, his son Georges took over the estate, eventually passing it on to his son Daniel who retired in 2004. Today, Daniel's children, Geneviève and Denis, run the estate which has expanded to cover an area of 50 hectares.
The vineyards are planted on hillsides of clay-limestone soils, spread over the municipalities of Péronne, Azé and, since 2009, Viré. The 98% of the estate's plantings are Chardonnay, and these vines produce both still white wines and sparkling Crémant De Bourgogne. The remaining 2% is a combination of Gamay and Pinot Noir, dedicated to the production of red Burgundy and red Mâcon-Azé.
Environmentally aware, Domaine Du Bicheron practices reasoned agriculture to reduce its use of aggressive treatments as much as possible, favouring lower impact methods both traditional (grassing, ploughing) and modern (the use of pheromones to cause sexual confusion among insect pest populations).
The Roussets' various vineyard holdings enable them to produce and bottle 6 different appellations on the property. Harvesting is carried out partly by hand, for sparkling wines, and partly by machine, for still wines The use of a harvesting machine allows them to wait until the grapes reach the perfect point of ripeness without the expense and inconvenience of keeping a team of human pickers on standby. This allows them to make the best possible wines with the absolute minimum amount of intervention.
The Roussets are demanding winemakers, committed to offering quality wines. To this end, Domaine Du Bicheron has signed the charter of the independent winegrowers to ensure that the highest standards of winemaking are always upheld, that the finest traditions are preserved and respected and that the culture and pleasure of their wines is shared whenever possible.
Original price £12.25Current price £10.41
Domaine Du Bicheron Macon-Peronne is a wine of true class at an everyday price. It displays all of the clarity that fine Mâcon Blanc can offer. The...View full detailsOriginal price £12.25Current price £10.41Save 15%
This delicious non vintage Cremant de Bougogne is 100% from the Chardonnay grape grown in the chalky soils of the vineyards close to Peronne in the...View full details£16.95Sale